Montag, 3. November 2014

Gig Review & Interview: Sofa Concerts & In bed with Ali Ingle and Will Robert. Two english men museful in songwriting, charming with words and alluring in compositional implementation




There's no place like home - the cozy, cordial atmosphere, the intimate interior, the tender memories bound to it, the eventful, amiable stories one's own four walls could tell. Inimitably charming and soothing, comforting and inviting, your own, neatly, prettily customized place woos with blissful warmth and appeal

When mellow, mellifluous melodies rise, when ambient sonic serenades and alluring acoustic waves imbue the air and people are spellbound, it's the magic of music, its irresistibly engaging essence that makes people unwind, that makes them enjoy themselves, as well as its haunting tonal sonority that resonates (with them), that makes them feel at home - eventually. In the very moment. It bestows a feel of beloging, of ease and contentment, the audience willingly embraces, indulges in - ...



... and it's exactly what happened in a small, homely living room in hamburg in late october, on the 23rd to be precise. 'SofaConcerts' invited the aspiring and inspiring singers/songwriters Ali Ingle and Will Robert, called on welcoming and keen music lovers, from far and near, to come together and celebrate the intimacy and contemplativeness of this entrancing gig, to honour and glory in live music



'SofaConcerts' sets the stage for ambitious and approachable artists - in quaint, comfortable living rooms of hospitable and expectant music enthusiasts. Those musicians delighted with the idea of playing an enticing set of their songs in a rather placid atmosphere can offer their craft on 'SofaConcerts' official website, where application forms wait for them  in anticipation of showcasing their involving musical talent  and for you – smitten with the desire of hosting a genuine, languorous living room session  to be filled in.




UK songsmiths Ali Ingle and Will Robert, one favouring his listeners with smoothly rasping vocals and imaginative lyricism, the other appealing to the ingtrigued crowd with his dulcet, soothing voice and vibrant percussion gimmicks, have been extended a warm welcome by an obliging and eager audience. But before enthralling hamburg's home-gig-goers with their calm yet captivating musicianship, the two settled back abed next door to shoot their charmingly cinematic 'In bed with' features  performing a song of choice each and interviewing one another.


'In bed with– just as the name conveys  receives its musical guests in a rather pillowy and satiny setting: photographer and originator of this scenic video format, Katrin B. asks the artists to make themselves at home in between the sheets and play one of their compositions. And both Ali and Will did exceptionally well with their acoustic sets, the liverpool poetic muso raising his cunning and sweeping song 'First Punch', the cambridge singer/songwriter performing his vivid, incredibly catchy tune 'Best Laid Plans', to continue with an episode of Q&A mirth either of them took honest delight in (the surely entertaining video footage gonna follow in 2015).



Moving from bed to sofa, it was Will Robert who opened what shall be remembered as an atmospheric and joyful music night rich in balmy, soulful still glowing sound. Nearby Reeperbahn, a 17m² living room served as intimate venue for 35 people to indulge in melodious and vivace acoustic allure  and Will's songwriting clearly lingered with a vibrant and apollonian melodic signature. Whilst the experienced guitarist presented idyllic, dreamy and breezy songs such as 'Mountain' and 'Sleight Of Hand', the latter is to be found on his debut album 'Transistions', he won over his audience easily, first and foremost by means of nimble, dynamic instrumental skills (exemplum gratia: Will's feisty percussion-esque technique on guitar) and a sensitively expressive vocal performance. That the cambridge-based musician has been busking in the streets of germany before, being offfered to join radio hamburg live in studio as a result, added to Will Robert's authentic artistic charm


Ensuing Ali Ingle picked up his guitar and ukulele to spark his listeners with mellifluous and brisk, cheerful and wistful lyrical gems: from the melancholic and imbuing 'Yours Alone' to the husky, powerful 'Medicine' and the catchy and rhythmically stormy fan favourite 'Tornado', the museful and perceptive songwriter drew on a rich compositional catalogue of old and new tunes likewise. The liverpool artist might have not been busking in hamburg (as yet), but stirred those music enthusiasts present due to his candid and spirited charisma, due to his raucous and ardent, his emotive and whispery vocal spectrum, enthralled his audience by involving it in a merry sing-along-episode, heralding fanciful, poignant lyrical narrations of wit and wisdom.



It has been all around great evening for live music, a top one soundwise and in respect to the gig's atmosphere. Not only did the artists seemingly feel at home, yet the audience did as well. An encore, please!



Ali Ingle did enjoy Will Robert's performance thoroughly.. and
who's that girl in the cat sweater?! ;) [photographic footage by

katrin bpunkt photography]
Bemused and enthused ... [photographic
footage by
katrin bpunkt photography]







Now, how's about an insightful and entertaining verbal encore?! Ali Ingle and I had a little chat after his set, talked about screaming eagles, how awesome it would be to be involved in a cool rock band, about psychic songwriting and the most beautiful scenic place the london-based songsmith and vocalist has ever been to. Of course we also spoke about carpe carmina and liverpool's rich local music scene ... 





How did this gig came about? How have you been informed about this session and reached out to the people involved?

Ali: I've never done a living room session and never imagined doing one. But Kerry, who sorts out all my stuff for me, came across the 'in bed with' sessions, showed it to me and I was like 'Oh, that's so cool, what a great idea!'.

Ali further explained that whilst being in hamburg he wanted to do something new and when hearing about 'SofaConcerts', he was more than willing to embrace this great opportunity of performing a small show and of 'plunging in an adventure'. 

It definitely is nice to play in different towns, outside of liverpool, outside of the UK in general, I can imagine ...

Ali: It really is. I've only played outside of the UK twice now. And everyone was so nice. I really, really enjoyed myself, so I'm up for doing it again. 

We then discussed the difference between UK and german audiences, and Ali stated that english gig-goers would come talk to the artist after his set, asking how he is doing and what he is up to, yet might not express how much they enjoyed the live performance, especially not whilst it still took place. German listeners on the other hand, at least that is what Ali has experienced, show how much they liked a musician's performance while he is playing, which is, as per Ali, "when it matters". It is in this moments that the singer/songwriter gets 'the kind of reassurance' he needs

I've heard from other UK bands that people in the UK do often attend gigs, but are not really there to follow the performances but to have a good time out, listen to the songs yet don't pay as much attention as some others here in germany do. 

Ali: I'd say that's a very fair point. I'd say people in germany, so far my small experience of it, are really into music. Which is great for musicians, but yeah, I think people in the UK like music, but they are not as passionate about it. It's just something that happens to be where ... some people are but the masses ...

Yes, with the masses of bands and musicians playing gigs every week or day even, you need to find which ones you want to see ... you gotta be a bit picky. 

Ali: You gotta be. Personally I don't get to play so many gigs myself. Especially living in london, there is a gig everywhere and I should, but I don't do so many gigs as certain people do. But I guess that's the difference, it's a more relaxed outlook and the atmosphere has to be right ...

Afterwards we continued talking about Ali's recent gig in london. He has been on stage in between two bands' sets, took it as a challenge and left satisfied as he encouraged the crowd to sing along and was welcomed warmly. 

Some solo artists do choose names, aliases for their music projects and you decided to go with Ali Ingle. Is there a particular reason why you did leave it with your name or did you actually pondered whether to establish a name such as, I don't know, by the sea (sorry, Ali, this one is already taken, and the group of musicians behind it crafts beautiful, jaunty and atmospheric music), or something like that ... 

Ali: Of course. I think one of the hardest parts is thinking about a name for a band. I mean, I was in a band when I was 16, and the best thing we could come up with was 'the screaming eagle'. At that time it was actually my suggestion ...


 and I think he's still quite enthusiastic about the name ...


It's quite catchy. 

Ali: So, when I actually started thinking I want to be a musician I just chose my name because I could never really think of a better one. 

Could you categorize your music, genre-wise and also in respect to what message and meaning you want to convey? Is there something you're aiming at? 

Ali: I've never started out with a particular style. I just picked up a guitar and started writing songs, and whatever came out was just the style that happened. I think for me it's all about the songwriting. It always has been about the songwriting. If I write a song, the music is more complement and it's my voice and my lyrics and I like it that way. Recently I've tried some electronical stuff. I thought it's fun, it's different, you gotta try new things. But I would never pin myself down to a genre, even though I'm sure people listen and have a genre in mind. 

Yeah, because people like to put things in categories ...

Ali: They want to categorize. They find someone to compare me to and put it in that category, and that's fine. I have no problems with that. But I don't say I do any kind of style. It'd be cool to be in a really cool rock band, but I don't think that will happen.

Who knows, maybe some day?

Ali: Yeah, maybe ...

I mean, there are plenty talented musicians in liverpool and beyond, so maybe you want to try do a side project ...

Ali: I think I'm too lazy, but maybe one day, maybe one day ...

Maybe the ambition comes with the years ...

Ali: Yeah, totally, yeah. 

In respect to the meaning or message of a song  do you have a particular plan for it, when you start writing the song or do you just see how it goes, revolve it around an idea and take it from there?

Ali: I think it's 50:50. A lot of times I will think of a line, one verse line comes to mind, I mean that happened with 'The Locker' - 'clear out your locker' came to me once, 'Jekyll & Hyde', similar thing. There's a lot of songs I only got one line and use that line and build a song around it. A lot of times there is this thing I like to call 'psychic songwriting– and what happens, is, I pick up my guitar and write a song. And about two weeks later 'Oh my god, I did write that song about this?', and it's related to something that happened. I know it sounds really weird and maybe ridiculous, but I bet a lot of songwriters will agree. You write a song and at that time it doesn't really make sense but maybe a couple of days later, maybe a week later, maybe a month later 'Oh my god, that's what I was writing about', and it let yourself subconsciously offload emotions, I guess. And it just kind of happens that way. So it's definitely 50:50, I will definitely have plans, in co-writing with people I'm trying to get it more structured, but often I sit down with the guitar and see what comes out. 


Mentioning co-writing, you've done a collaboration with Luke. Do you plan to do more. Not only co-writing but maybe a duet, something like that?

Ali: With Luke?

No, in general ...

Ali: I think, I mean I do a lot of co-writing anyway. There's not many that I've actually done something with. I've done a song called 'Empty House' with Meghann Cheetham. That was the only time I've ever put something out with actually both of us on the track and stuff. I think if the right song came up ... I mean my first love is always songwriting. I love writing songs and Luke singing my songs is great. He is one of those musicians, and he is a mate, to write, to have him sing a song of mine is brilliant. Yeah, I think, if the right song came up and I felt like my voice added something to it, then I'd love to. I love to do side projects, I love to work with other people and put stuff out. But we have to see what happens. I'm doing a lot of co-writing. Co-writing for Katie Nicholas at the minute, who's a local country singer and she's great. Yeah, and that's going good, we're gonna probably doing something together ...


And have you ever considered ... because I've actually heard a version of 'Great Beyond', just a really raw one, and Jake was involved too, and I really like the contrast of Luke's vocals and yours, and was just thinking did you ever had in mind to do a b-side of the track on both of your forthcoming releases?

Ali:  I wouldn't rule that out. I do really like 'Great Beyond' and I like what Luke does of it. I think we were initially gonna release it together either way, but it just benefited him a lot more than it benefits me to have that song.

It suits his voice...

Ali: Yeah, it really does suit his voice, but I wouldn't rule that out. I think he would be up for doing it as well, I think one day we will either play it live or do a recording of it, that would be cool. And get Jake involved as well, he's charm offensive


We next went on talking about Jake and his music project charm offensive, agreed that he has been rather quiet for quite some time and assumed he might be working on a secret, suprising new song. 




Have you planned any music videos for your forthcoming songs, take the demos you've released, well, not officially but on soundcloud. Do you plan to do music videos for them or have another song in mind, you want to put out and see how it goes with a video for it? 

Ali: I've wanted .. I mean, the last music video done would be 'A Life Unlike Yours' and I always want to do new videos. I think the problem I always have is, 'cause it's always me doing it, I struggle letting go an idea and letting other people help. And I always try to think of something that has to be doable, but also something I'm gonna be happy with. And I've spent so many times writing music video ideas and then throw them away. I mean, I've filmed 3 music videos that I've scrapped, there's 3 music videos I've filmed before I filmed.. and it was for 'A Life Unlike Yours' and both of them as finished versions .. and its seems like 'No, it's awful.' And I long to do a music video for a lot more songs that I brought out and I've got ideas for them. That is my next move, I need to get back and do another video. I've just spent too much time writing, I guess, but I do very much intend to do another video soon. And it's just making sure the idea is doable and making sure it's gonna look cool and good because I always do on a zero budget and I like it to look like that as well and I guess I'm gonna just do it ..

Sure, it has its own charm and it's always truly creative, I think ...

Ali: Thank you.. Aww, thank you very much.

The video for Luke. For one of Luke's songs, 'Call Me' – have you been involved with this one too?

Ali: Yeah, I made that one for him. I started just doing music videos for other people. I've just done one for Little Grace, which comes out tonight. So, when you get back, watch it, 'cause it's funny. We went to a .. I was just something I started doing, I've set up a little business, 'Killer Robot Productions', and started making videos.



I thought it's you behind it, because you've done the christmas robot … (Ali: It's quite ... (obvious)) show (Ali: Yes ...), so I thought 'Maybe it's Ali'.

Ali: I've tried to seperate myself from it to not get people confused. 'Cause it's just something I like to do on the side, it makes a bit of money. And it's enjoyable. So I started doing them (the videos). .. We took Little Grace to a flight school in liverpool .. (Oh, it's the photos with the airplanes on facebook I've seen) Yeah, yeah. So we've done a video and it's funny.

For 'Mind Body & Soul' or for another song?

Ali: For 'Mind, Body & Soul'. Beautiful song. The video is good. It's very simple. We were supposed to be flying up on one of the airplanes, but it was too windy. So we had to stay on ground. So it's all filmed in an airplane on the ground. We wasn't sure what it's gonna look like, but we thought we just embrace it and see what happens and check it out, 'cause I think it's cracking up.



Ok, it's gonna be enjoyable, I think, so yes. And have you planned to release a full-length record anytime soon? Have you songs in mind or already recorded?

Ali: You mean like an album?

Yeah.

Ali: There was an intention of releasing an album, and this was when I … signed a small record deal (and it was plannned to release an album). And then it didn't really go the way I wanted it to go, so I decided to leave the record deal. And the album, it didn't feel right releasing it. I just thought I'm gonna release something when I feel like I've got a big fanbase I can count on to buy it. (Ok ...) I want my first debut album to be a real smashing


Yeah, it's usually that way that the bands want to make, well, kind of mark, they want to establish their sound and say 'that's my signature' or something like that and … (Ali: Completely ...) from there develop and maybe alter it a little but still stay true to the sound they have deployed and embraced.


Ali: That's it really, isn't it? You know, it's gonna be my first complete piece of work and I do want it to be as good as possible, and I want it to be memorable. I don't want to just wreck it up on the internet and people buy it, and I sell about eight. Basically the album is there... I'm just waiting for the right time to put it out.


Well, that sounds good and promising. And I just hope it's gonna be released soon. Do you intend to feature some of the demos you've just recently put on soundcloud or some new songs you have in mind to write?



Ali: There's a lot of new songs that I've been working on, I've not done anything with yet. I've been doing a lot of writing lately. I felt like I've got back into it. Moving to london helped a lot. And let me set up with a mic and a little studio, so that was quite cool. The thing with the demos, I guess the whole point of them was, I never really knew, what I wanted to do with them and I thought if I'm gonna put them out they're alright, they are good songs for free, so I called them the 'good for nothing' demos. And they are still a gift, people can have these, maybe I revisit one of them but the four songs.. I could never place, I never know what to do with them. I just felt like they didn't really belong with my other songs. But then maybe, 'First Punch', I do like 'First Punch', it got a place in my heart. But then, songs like 'Paris', what do you do with 'Paris'?



Yeah, it's a nice song, just easy listening. (Ali: It was the result ...) It's hard to place on an album and to say it belongs there.

Ali: It's not me. That's it. It's not me, it was a bit of fun. I went to Paris, wanted to write a song about it and it was supposed to be super cheesy. It was just a bit of fun that happened in the studio, that's why I didn't feel right to sell it. It had to be given away. I was questioning whether I could actually give it away and whether people would even want it for free but yeah …

So, there's not gonna be a song about hamburg?


Ali: Oh, that's next, isn't it? I need to write a song about hamburg.

'Cause Kerry mentioned something about that on facebook and suggested that.

Ali: Oh yeah. Of course. I think I don't know what I'm gonna write about hamburg, but then I really didn't .. with 'Paris', did I? I'll find something, I'll find something, maybe, yeah, that'd be cool.

Ok, can you tell a bit about your experiences in spain, at Riba Rocks. How this has come about and how it has been and what experiences you made.


Ali: Yeah sure. It was a bit random really, I think someone got in touch with me on the internet and was like, you know, 'This is a great festival. Would you like to play?', so I got Kerry involved, to see what this is about. And the people running the festival were just so nice, they really, really, really were, and I felt like 'Wow'. The stuff they were saying about my music was just so nice and I felt like the actually really liked my music and they wanted me to come play their festival. And it was the second year, it was just starting out, it's a fairly small festival, and I didn't know what to expect so I was 'Ohhh' and then I heard Dave Monks from liverpool, who might everybody know well from doing many of his sessions, and I heard he was doing it, so I was like 'Ok, this is even better' and then of course Run Tiger Run got on the bill, friends of mine, and I thought 'Well, this gonna be a party. This gonna be great, to take liverpool to spain.' I've never been to spain before. And I showed up and met Sarah and Chris who live on the land and put this festival on. And it was beautiful, it was the most beautiful scenic place, one of the most beautiful scenic places I've ever been, almost like the valley of a big mountain, looking out over this beautiful landscape that went down in tears to a wonderful river, and it was just beautiful. And I thought 'Wow', and I stood on the stage and the first moment I got to run on the main stage I looked out and thought 'Wow. This is gonna be good, this is gonna be cool'. It was just a party basically, we all just had a good time, some great music, 'cause it was small and an intimate venue, a couple of people there, it was just so beautiful, it really was. Everyone got really close and it was just a really great weekend. And I played my set on a saturday night and it was great, I went down well ...

A brief chat about the interview and how it will be featured on carpe carmina followed in which I told Ali that it won't be available as audio file in full-length but that I might cut out some sequences and include them on my blog. Mentioning this, I had to admit that I'm not really firm or good in respect to technical tasks, but know people who are and do run a music blog too
Those of you who do read carpe carmina regularly and do also watch my twitter, can probably tell that talking about other music blogs directed the conversation to house in the sand, a german music blog who easily makes it among my favourite ones. 

... I don't know if you know house in the sand - Vanessa, she's a blogger from germany.


Ali:  Yeah, I've seen the blog, yeah …



I'm friends with her. It's quite funny because we share the same name and the same passion for music. And like the same musicians.

Ali: And to all these bands in the UK you're promoting, you're both called Vanessa as well, and you're both from germany, so that's like the same thing :)


Well, I've established a nickname, 'Nessi', among …

... and then Ali said something really sweet ... 



AliAnd I'm actually chuffed that I'm actually the only one being able to come and meet ya out of all my crowd anyway.


Ali and I did 'plan' my next UK visit then, as I brought up my wish to come to liverpool in 2015 to see some musicians perform. Being the gentleman and all around nice guy Ali is known to be, he offered me to stay at his family's house, added that his mother would be more than happy to have me stay over for a few nights [would you Kerry?! ;)], and show me the best places in liverpool. This almost moved me to tears ... but I successfully pulled myself together and resumed with the interview ...


Well, the next thing is matter of heart for me. 'Belly Of A Beast'. You have done a session with Culture City TV and then it was kind of deleted, I don't know what actually happened to it, but then you have done a cover of Yarbo's song 'Mechanical', I think it was 'Mechanical', and he's done 'Belly Of A Beast' (Ali: Yeah) And I thought 'woah, maybe sometime soon there will be the video coming up again and well, unfortunately it hasn't (Ali: I know). So, do you know anything about it?


Ali: Basically 'Belly Of A Beast' was a song that was supposed to be a bonus track on the end of 'Magic In The Mundane', which was an EP that never quite got released (Ok). I would .. I should have played it tonight, you know I would have played it as well, I can't really tell why I didn't, I'm sorry.

No, it's no problem.


Ali: But to be honest, it's a song that when I play it, it is hard to play at gigs, because it's so, it's all about the lyrics and it never really …


Yes, and that's why I like it so much ...

Ali: Oh, that's very nice. 'Cause at a lot of the gigs I played it's like I have to really, I'm trying really to give a lot of energy and that song is a quiet, low-beat song and I never get the chance to play it and it's a shame because it's one of my favourite .. it's one of them songs, in fact, it's probably the most honest song I ever wrote that reflects me as a person more than anything and I rarely get to play it, so to me someone who atually really like it, it's such nice 'cause not a lot people get it really, but it will definitely … if I have an album out it will definitely be on it. It will have to be.

Ok, that's good to know, because it was actually probably the second song of yours I've ever listened to and …


Ali: Oh, was it?


Yeah, after 'Tornado', 'Tornado' was the first one I've heard on Brian's show and I really liked it. Well, 'Jekyll & Hyde' was probably before that too. And then I've heard it and that was the point when I really, really was falling for your music, and thought 'That's good music. The lyrics are simply subtle and it's really good.' And that's why I stuck around (Ali: Awww...) to see what you're up to.



Ali: Well, that's really nice.


Ok, last question.
Ali: Ok.


You told me that you read the articles about your music on my blog. So could you say something – it doesn't necessarily need to be something nice, because I don't ask people to do that, yet am happy when they do – but what is the thing that strucks you most when you think about the blog or about its style. What do you like and why do you come back and maybe read other articles, about different artists too?

Ali: The thing that always caught my eye.. I mean, I'm, I am such a … lyrics are always my thing, the words and senses, I mean. I've always been into writing and creative writing and just the beauty of words

              Ali's comments on carpe carmina and my writing – that's music to my ears ...


Ali: And I mean, half of... the words you use. I've never heard that ones before and look them up, and have used it in a sentence later on to try and sound clever. And you really do have such an … it's just quite .. to meet a german girl who's got a better grasp of the english language than I do, is quite an honor.

Well, I wouldn't necessarily say that I do have a better grasp, but I try to put the music I hear very detailed, and try to be as descriptive as I can. 'Cause sometimes the music hasn't been released yet and I just want to make sure that my readers are interested in the songs, and check them out when the music is released. So I try to describe it quite well, it's very personal and subjective of course (Ali: Of course) because it is my listening experience, but I try to put it that way, so people get interested and think 'Wow, this sounds actually nice and I want to hear that song, eagerly want to hear that song' ...

Ali: But you do it so well, you really do. It's so descriptive - whilst you read about that song you really get a sense of what it is about and you kinda know what to expect. And I think that's great. I mean if I could be told what a song gonna be like before I hear it, that would just save me the three and a half minutes of something I may not like. But more than that, it's just a pleasure to read something that is so well written (Aww, thank you). It's really nice and even whether its a review of a band or a shopping list, if it's written nicely, it makes you want to read it, isn't it?

Well, I'm quite favourable about the music, because I only pick those music I really like and then write about it on my blog. It's a matter of heart for me (Ali: Aww...). I just want to promote those musicians I really like and whose songs really .. tell a story to me and reach me emotionally. So, I just put that on my blog.


Ali: Aww, that's really sweet and it comes across, it really does. And it comes across...


I do often hear that I'm quite passionate and enthusiastic ...

Ali: Yeah, I mean, … honestly, it's so nice to meet you as well, Nessi. After all the promotion, you're doing for me, and you have such nice things to say about me constantly, it's like, so nice to actually, you know, put a face to the name and meet you. Thank you so much, Nessi, thank you so much for all the nice things you say and all the nice things you do, really.

I hope you know, I do really mean them and they're honestly said. Because some people might think 'Well, she only says nice things about the music', but I just try to be positive, about the facts I like about a song, and do spotlight what I liked whilst listening. And sometimes you just don't have anything to leave out, because the song is truly good, you put just out what you hear ... your music is for instance. I do really enjoy it and can't tell anything bad about it, and I really like listening to it, I really like the lyrics (Ali: Awww).

Ali: Thank you very much. Then I best continue making music that you like and put out that stuff and …

I didn't intend to put such an amount of pressure on you ...

Ali: No, it's alright, it's alright. I'll have to send you any new stuff, before I put it out, any songs that I've never quite released... in fact I've got a song that you definitely won't have heard, called 'Electricity', have you heard that?

No. Is this gonna be your next single?

Ali: That's gonna be my next single and I'll send it over to you and you can give a listen …

Oh, nice.


Ali: I'm not sure when I'm putting it out, but it will be in the next month or two, and I'll send that over to you, 'cause that's quite electricy ..

That's really nice.

Ali: ... and it's different.. I'll send it over to you.

Having approached the topic of 'electricy music', we briefly talked about my poor understanding of electronic music, yet also about my genuine appreciation of some, such as Analogue Wave, before Ali mentioned that he rather meant that he added electric guitars to his sound to enrich it, to give it a brisk tonal note. We also began exchanging views about those compositional and melodic characteristics that get us excited when listening to music - Ali, as you probably can tell, given you know his music, is attracted most by the lyrical outline of a song, yet also enjoys, just like I do, percussion elements  and got on to the topic of favourite music genres, which easily is acoustic to me, all though I thoroughly appreciate blues and folk music too

Ali:  I'm trying to think what other stuff I can send you over … Is there any song you wished to hear I haven't played apart from 'Belly Of A Beast'?


I don't know actually, I mean, most of your songs are already on soundcloud ..

Ali: Well, I kinda thought, I wanna make sure I played all the songs that you like because I thought it's a rare opportunity for you to watch. So I was trying to make sure I played all the songs. I can't believe I forgot 'Belly Of A Beast'. That's so annoying. You know what as well … this is gonna really annoy you ...




Instead of Burger King ... 
Post-Interview picture 
... and Ali showed me his setlist, having 'Belly Of A Beast' on it. Well, I truly would have loved to hear him play it, but honestly, it has been an amazing night of music nonetheless and I'm truly grateful for having been offered the opportunity to meet Ali, to see him perform and to interview the charming singer/songwriter for carpe carmina. I'm beyond grateful for a wonderful night out, with good music, for people who genuinely, enthusiastically indulged in the sweet sonic serenades of two gifted UK musicians, for an adventurous and eventful stroll through hamburg by night and for a witty and humorous conversation about comics and animes  thank you Ali Ingle, thank you Will Robert, thank you Kerry, thank you Katrin, thank you Corinna ... a heartfelt thank-you also goes out to all the people who made this gig such a memorable and endearing one. Here's to a follow-up


On a final note, those who have not been able to attend this stellar sofa concert, don't fear: Axel Füllgraf has captured and covered the entire performance. Enjoy listening! 


Get Will Robert's debut album 'Transitions' 
on Itunes





You can reach out & listen to Will Robert on ...


.. twitter ...
.. facebook ...
.. his official website ...
.. soundcloud ...
.. bandcamp ..




Get Ali Ingle's latest EP release 'A Life Unlike Yours' at
the Great Beyond merchstore. 






Get in touch with Ali Ingle and indulge in his music on ...

.. twitter ...
.. facebook ...
.. his official website ...
.. soundcloud ... 









A few impression of Ali's and Will's 'In bed with' session and their 'SofaConcerts' gig (photos courtesy of Lore):



















Keine Kommentare:

Kommentar veröffentlichen